Welcome!

Welcome to My Life as a Grad Student! This blog was set up to share my journey through graduate school at Full Sail University.

This has been the most wonderful experience so far. I am so excited to learn and to grow. This program has enhanced my knowledge in the area of Technology in Education. This has also allowed me to reflect upon myself and my teaching practices. My learning experiences have helped me to build upon my strengths as well as focus on creating a plan and learning goals in my areas that need improvement. The children I have the gift of seeing everyday deserve the best I can give. So I only hope that my adventure leads to great things that I can share with children and my fellow colleagues.

This blog will reflect my journey through the digital world. I hope you will enjoy taking part of my challenges and my successes. I can't wait to see what happens next!


Thursday, September 9, 2010

BP4_GoAnimate


I researched GoAnimate.com to implement with my struggling readers as a motivational tool. GoAnimate.com was created to provide a creative outlet; which will certainly allow my picture smart kids to really thrive.  GoAnimate allows the user to make cartoons and direct cartoons, as well as share with others, and it is Free! This tool even allows the user to select a theme from a multitude of choices, create a character and even add voice and music to the cartoon. This hits on so many intelligences; which is the focus of my AR project. So I am really hoping that this tool gets my kids motivated and excited about learning. I also think this will encourage my students to see the value in learning and creating something in which they can take pride.

I am currently working with children who are struggling and who often experience low self-esteem. One of my goals for this year beyond helping these children grow as readers is for each child to feel good about himself or herself and to really want to learn. I realize that sometimes standing on my head is going to be what it takes to get these kids to break down their walls and feel safe enough to make mistakes and take risks. So to begin the head standing process, I introduced my procedures and routines for my groups by creating a video of myself in Second Life.

Each year my school comes up with an adventure “theme” for learning. This year we took the adventure to the Arctic. So I used Screen Flow to shoot some footage of my Avatar in Antarctica. My kids loved seeing me in the snow flying around while I explained my expectations for my class. I gained their attention and began the motivation process. My intention was this, yet it went beyond this as the day went on. I had several students from different groups ask me if they could do that too. I told them that if they gave themselves and me 100% that we would create an animation project to share what they have learned and see them as a cartoon.

GoAnimate.com is the perfect answer to how I can create this project with my kids. They are going to love working with this tool.

I think this will be such an amazing way for my kids to work with text in a manner where they think we are just having fun. This will take a great deal of work, planning, and creativity; which will allow my kids to really dive into learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment