Welcome!

Welcome to My Life as a Grad Student! This blog was set up to share my journey through graduate school at Full Sail University.

This has been the most wonderful experience so far. I am so excited to learn and to grow. This program has enhanced my knowledge in the area of Technology in Education. This has also allowed me to reflect upon myself and my teaching practices. My learning experiences have helped me to build upon my strengths as well as focus on creating a plan and learning goals in my areas that need improvement. The children I have the gift of seeing everyday deserve the best I can give. So I only hope that my adventure leads to great things that I can share with children and my fellow colleagues.

This blog will reflect my journey through the digital world. I hope you will enjoy taking part of my challenges and my successes. I can't wait to see what happens next!


Wednesday, September 1, 2010

BP1_Google Reader


http://reader.google.com
Google Reader


     Google Reader is a great way to keep up with your favorite websites. Creating an account is quite easy and only takes a few minutes to accomplish, even for those who need a wider learning curve when technology is involved.
      Once you have created an account, you are able to subscribe to as many websites as you choose. This will allow the latest information to be right at your fingertips. This information is also organized by site and themes to create a well managed location for the latest news that is relevant to your likes and interests. You may even add Google Reader as a Gadget to your iGoogle home page. This gives you instant access to updates created by your favorite sites. For example, I recently subscribed to the following sites:


U.S. Department of Education's website at http://www.ed.gov/
Education News at http://www.topix.com/education
Primary Games: The Fun Place to Learn at http://blog.primarygames.com
Primary School Articles at http://www.suite101.com/primaryschool

Primary Reading at http://primaryreading.pbworks.com/Resources-and-Ideas


      These sites are updated periodically throughout the day, week or month depending upon the site. Instead of having to log on several times a day to determine if the news that has been posted is of interest to me, I am notified through my homepage when an update has been uploaded. The title gives me a clue about the update, and I am then free to decide if I would like to investigate the information further. This saves me time and allows me easy access to  up-to-date information.
        These sites were chosen due to the relevance they play in my professional life. I am currently teaching a Reading Remediation class that is an outside-of-the-box type of plan that was created to meet the needs of our struggling readers. The class size amendment, No Child Left Behind among other State and National mandates have a direct impact on my ability to make a difference with this project. I would like to be immediately aware of various state and national decisions that may impact this program as well as the education of my own two children. So Education News and the U.S. Department of Education's sites are a helpful tool in providing me up to date information. 
        Primary Games, Primary School Activities, and Primary Reading all provide ideas and resources that I might use in my reading classroom. My goal is to be current in ideas and techniques that demonstrate best practices. These sites allow me to review options to better my instruction.
      Google Reader allows the possibilities in the classroom to be  endless. For example, if you were teaching children about weather patterns. You might log in to your Google Reader account and search weather sites. After subscribing to the sites of your choice, you will receive the latest information right to your home page. This can be very exciting, especially if you are living in Florida during Hurricane session!
        This was a great learning experience for me. I am now able to organize my information, as well as stay well informed in all of my areas of interest.






No comments:

Post a Comment